We have had the privilege of working on some fun cars lately. For example, we had two 1967 corvette’s in the same week. The one in the video below was referred to us by our friend Nick at Loose Cannon Customs (http://www.loosecannonsd.com). They had recently done some paint work on the hood of a ’67 corvette that a new customer brought in after a recent purchase. The paint on this car was not “show quality” but good for a classic driver. He wanted to add a little something to the car and brought it to Nick who got to work on adding some light steel blue accents on the dark blue hood. He then proceeded to clear coat the entire hood. The customer was very happy, the only problem was, now that the hood looked so good, the rest of the car looked a bit dated. He asked Nick how much it would cost to re clear the whole vehicle and that is when Nick brought up Detail Green USA. We have worked together for years and he told the customer that he thought a good compound and polish would bring the rest of the car back to life and would also save him a lot of money compared to reshooting the whole car. We went out to the customers house and polished out the paintwork on this awesome corvette. The results were fantastic and the customer was thrilled!
With all the options on line for car detailing services in San Diego, how do you chose? In building our business, we are constantly trying to figure out what a potential new customer is looking for when hiring a car detail service. I do my best to try to remove myself from the equation and think about this as if i were a customer with no knowledge on the subject. Here is a list of things that i would look for when hiring a mobile car detailing service.
- Good Reviews – Making sure the detail company you go with has a solid reputation is key. With all the review sites now a days, this is pretty easy to do.
- Professional -When you hire someone to come a detail your car you are trusting them with a very expensive item. You want to make sure that the car detail company is professionally trained, commercially insured, and uses professional grade products.
- Reliable – Your life can get very busy. This is a service industry and should be exactly that. We give you a detailed time frame of when we will arrive and how long the detail service will take so you can get back to your day!
- Website – Having a good website that outlines services and pricing of the car detail services offered enables you to get an upfront understanding of what to expect from the company.
- Ease – Mobile Car Detailing allows you to get your vehicle detailed at your home or office. No need to plan hours out of your day to take a car in to the detail/car wash shop and wait, or try to arrange someone to pick you up. By going with a mobile car detail service you are able to get stuff done at work or at home while your car is being cleaned!
We do our best to make sure we provide the very best car detailing service in San Diego. We have been working on our online presence to reach more and more customers so that we can provide the professional service they are looking for. If you are looking for a mobile car wash or detail service in San Diego, we hope that you will give Detail Green USA a chance. We look forward to exceeding your expectations.
As we are out detailing customer vehicles all throughout San Diego we get two questions all the time.
- How long have you been detailing cars?
- How do you get the windows so clean without streaks?
The first question is nice… I always wonder if the customer enjoys getting to know more and more about our business/services, or if they just want to make sure they don’t have a rookie working on their car. Which i can understand.
The second question is definitely more related to past struggles of their own window cleaning experiences. Although there are some great products out there, what works best for us is a mixture of premium Micro Fiber Towels and good old H20. We find that 99% of windows have a film on the interior that causes all of the issues when you are driving home after work, make a turn and get blasted by the low angle of the afternoon sun. Some of this film is just accumulated over time, but other times it from someone improperly cleaning the window.
When Cleaning your windows, you should always do it in the shade. We don’t have that luxury all the time when performing a mobile detail because sometimes the vehicles location is hundreds of miles away from any shade (or at least it feels that way some times), but if you can it drastically reduces the dry time of the window which allows you to properly buff out any left over product.
Here is our window cleaning process:
- First, make sure to have removed the majority of dirt, dust, etc..
- Take 1 Micro Fiber Towel and get it nice and wet (fold by 4… take the towel and fold it in half and then fold it in half again
- Rub the wet Micro Fiber on the window to remove any left over smudges, streaks, etc…
- Quickly switch to a dry Micro Fiber (also folded by 4) and dry the window with long strokes. Start on the perimeter of the window and work your way in. I like to flip the towel to the dry side and give it one last buff.
- If you are working on a larger piece of glass like a windshield, take your time. Especially when cleaning the interior of a windshield, I like to do one half at a time. This makes it so i control the drying process. If i were to do the whole thing at once, the window will dry before i am able to wipe it down removing all the streaks.
A few thing to remember… If you insist on using a window cleaning product, MAKE SURE IT DOES NOT CONTAIN AMMONIA. Ammonia can damage window tint film and the only way to fix it is to pull it off and re-tint. As annoying it is to have to pay for new tint, trying to get the old tint off is even worse! You can buy specialty window Micro Fiber Towels that have a very low nap, not required, but they are nice to have. A nice waffle weave MF towel also helps achieve a streak free finish. Always remember to care for you MF Towels. Use a very gentle detergent and NEVER use a fabric softener as that will actually ruin the towel.
For all you DIY’ers out there… If you have a black car you know how difficult it can be to keep you vehicles paint in prime condition. Bad washing habits, Drive Thru Car Washes, Dust, etc.. all negatively impact the appearance of your car. Nothing looks as good as a clean black car, but a black car shows dirt, swirls, and imperfections in the paint more than any other color. Blacks with some metallic in them are bad enough, but its impossible to hide anything on a pure black car. So here are a few tips to help manage your black paint work.
- PROPER WASH METHODS
Since Blacks cars show so much, many people tend to use drive thru car washes for the ease and time savings. However, harsh chemicals and dirty brushes slapping the exterior of your car are hardly helping things in the long term. You have to start with proper wash methods that don’t damage your paint. The TWO BUCKET WASH METHOD allows you to rinse off your wash mitt allowing the dirt that you just cleaned from your vehicle to be removed before reloading the wash mitt and wiping it back on to your car. You can view more info on the 2 bucket method on JayLenosGarage.com
- DRYING YOUR VEHICLE
Improper drying techniques can reverse all the care you took when washing the vehicle. Using household towels, rags, dirty clothes can cause wash scratches, marring, and worse. We recommend using compressed air to blow out all of the water left behind in the the tight places and follow up with a plush Micro Fiber Towel. If any spots are left behind because they dried before you got to them, you can lightly mist your towel and wipe the car using a final detailer.
- WAXING AND POLISHING
Many people have a high speed buffer in the garage. The problem with these is that due to the fact that they rotate in one direction at such high speeds they create a ton of heat. Heat can cause you to burn through the paint on your car, cause uneven surfaces in the clear coat which are the case of holograms, and a dirty pad can inflict swirls marks from hell. A highly trained professional can use a high speed buffer to quickly correct imperfections in the paint of a car, but they still use a dual action polisher for the finishing touch to provide a swirl and hologram free finish. For the DIY’er we highly recommend the use of Dual Action Polishers. They rotate and oscillate mimicking the motion of a typical hand “wax on wax off”. This movement reduces heat and makes the polishing head stop if too much pressure is applied which makes burning the paint nearly impossible. There are many dual action polisher on the market but in our opinion the best and most cost effective polisher would be the Porter Cable 7424XP
Remember to always clean your wash buckets, towels, buffing pads, etc.. after each wash. Using dirty products to clean your vehicle can damage your car and cause problems that you can solve. If you have any of those problems and need a professional, please reach out to us!!! Otherwise, enjoy the upcoming summer in your clean car!